SEPT 5 - 9: ISLE OF ARRAN
When and Where?
Backabush is going back to Scotland to visit the ISLE OF ARRAN!
The Isle of Arran has often been described as the best of Scotland compressed into a single small island. Although only 20 miles long and 10 miles wide this magical isle is blessed with superb mountains. Goat Fell dominates the skyline and coupled with a rugged and mountainous landscape in the north and gently rolling hills in the south, the island is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. But that’s not all. On the island you’ll also find pretty villages, ancient castles, prehistoric standing stones and a richness of crafts, food, drink, history and culture.
Our plan is to fly into Glasgow and then drive to the ferry port of Ardrossan on the mainland from where we set sail for Arran. We will then enjoy 4 nights in comfortable holiday cabins. All cabins are en-suite with single or twin share rooms. We will have access to a shared kitchen.
Classic walks on the Isle of Arran include:
- Goatfell - the summit of Arran
- Cock of Arran - superb coastal hiking
- Whiting Bay, Glenashdale Falls & Machrie Moor Stone Circles
The Isle of Arran is alive with wildlife, mountains, beaches, lovely countryside and much more waiting for us to discover. Come and see 'Scotland in Miniature' as the locals call it.
It is especially good that we have managed to arrange to visit the Isle of Arran in September, at one of the best times of year when the days are still long and we will not be bothered by midges (tiny biting flies) which can hatch out and swarm earlier in the summer.
The ascent of Goatfell involves over 800m of ascent (sometimes steep) and some minor scrambling. This trip is fairly challenging. We will hike some rugged mountain terrain and a good level of fitness will be necessary.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- 4 nights holiday cabin accommodation (comfortable single and twin share en-suite rooms with bedding provided).
- All transport in Scotland (including ferry crossings) and airport transfers from Glasgow.
- Guided hikes. Our leaders are Mountain Leader (http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/skills-and-awards/mountain-leader) (MLTE) trained and qualified first aiders.
- Financial protection in accordance with the Package Travel Law 1992
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Food - our accommodation will have self catering facilities.
- Restaurant or pub meals - Scotland is well know for its unique and hearty food.
- Recommended flights - Now on sale
The meeting point will be at Glasgow Airport on Saturday 5 September. We will drop you off at Glasgow Airport on Wednesday 9 September.
Our airport transfers will be timed to meet the following flights:
• OUTBOUND - Saturday 5 September easyJet flight EZY209 Departs - 12:45 London Stanstead Arrives - 14:00 Glasgow
• INBOUND - Wednesday 9 September easyJet flight EZY212 Departs - 15:35 Glasgow Arrives - 16:55 London Stanstead
IF YOU CHOOSE TO BOOK ALTERNATIVE FLIGHTS MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARRIVE NO LATER THAN 14:00 ON 5 SEPTEMBER (WE HAVE A FERRY TO CATCH!) AND DEPART NO EARLIER THAN 15:35 ON 9 SEPTEMBER.
Alternatively Virgin Trains operates direct services between London Euston station and Glasgow Central station, with regular bus connection to Glasgow Airport.
Tickets can be booked 13 weeks in advance. If you travel by train please allow enough time to travel to/from the meeting point at Glasgow Airport.
- Single en-suite cabin£395£3950£0
- Twin share cabin£370£3700£0